Button Lover’s Club: Nest Button Appliqué Pillow
One of our favorite parts of the Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons club is the projects! We are so excited to share ideas with you for projects you can make with your club boxes. We simply adore the project we have to share with you today. We hope you enjoy making it as much as we did!
Nest Button Appliqué Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (Nest Box)
- Fabric (Nest by Lella Boutique for Moda shown)
- 2.5.” x 4.5″ green print rectangle (A)
- 4.5″ square grey/ white stripe (B)
- 6.5″ x 1.25″ gray print rectangle (C)
- 6.5″ x 1.75″ aqua print rectangle (D)
- 4″ x 5″ solid teal rectangle (for bird)
- 6.5″ square (for backing)
- 6.5″ square of Sew Lazy Dreamy Fusible Fleece
- Sew Lazy Fusi-bond Lite
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
Nest Button Appliqué Instructions:
- Trace bird pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite.
- Iron onto wrong side of the teal rectangle.
- Cut out bird shape on the inside of the traced line and set aside.
- Pin the light green rectangle (A) to the grey striped rectangle (B), right sides together, matching the 4.5″ edges. Sew along the 4.5″ edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward the green.
- Pin the grey print rectangle (C) to the aqua print rectangle (D), right sides together, matching the 6.5″ edges. Sew along the 6.5″ edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward the grey.
- Position the top section (A-B) of the block (right side up) with the green on the left and the grey stripe on the right. Line up the bottom edge of the section with the cut edge of the grey print (C) right sides together, matching the 6.5″ edge. Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward the grey.
- Press the block and trim to 6.5″ square.
- Arrange the bird applique on top the block. Iron to fuse in place and then applique. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the bird shape.
- Fuse block to a 6.5″ square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt around the edges of the bird and in the ditches of the block seams.
- Lay the 6.5″ backing square on top of the 6.5″ block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Make a 2.5″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff pillow.
- Sew the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué heart to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the cover the bird. (Look at the videos in our “helpful links” section for tips on how to do this.)
- Sew N-E-S-T buttons to the grey print.
- Facebook Live Nest Project Reveal (includes tips for Button Appliqué)
- Video: How to Appliqué with Buttons