Button Lover’s Club: Mitten Button Appliqué Pillow
It is day 3 of our Cheer Words with Buttons projects! Today we are featuring our button appliqué project. Button Appliqué is a fun technique where you take a basic appliqué shape and make it fabulous with layers of different buttons. This month our shape is this super cute mitten! Isn’t it so fun with the mix of Cherry Party Pack buttons? We love the way the club button mix contains a mixture of finishes, some matte, some clear, some pearly, and all so fabulous layered together!
Mitten Button Appliqué Pillow Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (Cheer Box)
- Fabric (Christmas Figs by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda shown):
- 2.5.” x 4.5″ green print rectangle (A)
- 4.5″ square green/ white gingham (B)
- 6.5″ x 1.25″ white tone on tone rectangle (C)
- 6.5″ x 1.75″ red print rectangle (D)
- 4” x 5″ solid red rectangle (for mitten)
- 6.5” square (for backing)
Mitten Button Appliqué Pillow Instructions:
- Trace mitten pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced mitten onto wrong side of 4″ x 5″ red rectangle.
- Cut out the mitten shape on the inside of the traced line and set aside.
- Pin the green rectangle (A) to the green gingham rectangle (B), right sides together, matching the 4.5″ edges. Sew along the 4.5″ edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward A.
- Pin the white rectangle (C) to the red print rectangle (D), right sides together, matching the 6.5″ edges. Sew along the 6.5″ edge with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward C.
- Position the top section (A-B) of the block (right side up) with A on the left and B on the right. Line up the bottom edge of the section with the cut edge of the white rectangle (C) right sides together, matching the 6.5″ edge. Sew with a 1/4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward the C.
- Press the block and trim to 6.5″ square.
- Arrange the mitten applique on top the block. Iron to fuse in place and then applique. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the mitten shape.
- Fuse block to a 6.5″ square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt around the edges of the mitten and in the ditches of the block seams.
- Lay the 6.5″ backing square on top of the 6.5″ block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 2.5″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué heart to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the cover the mitten. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your mitten.
- Sew the C-H-E-E-R buttons to the white strip.
- Facebook Live Cheer Projects Reveal
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- Christmas Figs by Fig Tree & Co for Moda
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué
- Tutorial: Faux Sewing