One of my favorite things about making handmade projects is being able to give and receive things made with love. When I am making a gift for someone I often find that I am thinking about that person as I work. I like to think that there is a bit of love and care for that person in each and every stitch. This month I made this pillow as a gift for my mom on her birthday. I chose the C for her name. I chose colors and patterns that she would love. She was so thrilled when I gave it to her! I hope that each time she looks at it she will feel the love and thought that went into it.
Shine Button Monogram Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (SHINE Box)
- Button Block Pattern by Tammy Tutterow Designs
- Fabric (Sunnyside Up by Corey Yoder for Moda shown):
4″ magenta square (for letter)
5½″ green print square (for background)(2)
2″ x 5½” green print rectangles (for border)(2)
2″ x 8½″ green print rectangles (for border)
8½” green print square (for backing)
- Sew Lazy Dreamy Fusible Fleece (8½” square)
- Sew Lazy Fusi-bond Lite
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
Shine Button Monogram Instructions:
- Trace the letter of your choice from the Button Block Pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite. You will want your letter reversed.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced letter onto the wrong side of the 4″ magenta square.
- Cut out the letter on the inside of the traced line.
- Center the appliqué letter on the green square . Fuse in place.
- Appliqué the letter to the background. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shape.
- Sew the two short border pieces (2″ x 5½″) to the sides of the background square, with a 1/4” seam allowance. Press your seams toward the borders.
- Then sew the longer border pieces (2″ x 8½″) to the top and bottom. Press your seams toward the borders.
- Press the block and trim to 8½” square.
- Fuse block to an 8½” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt as desired.
- Lay the 8½” backing square on top of the 8½” block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 3″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff the pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué shape to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the cover the letter. (See our “Appliqué with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your letter.)
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- Sunnyside Up by Corey Yoder for Moda
- Button Block Appliqué Alphabet
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- JABC Stitch School
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué
Not a club member? Click here to join and get next month’s box!