We simply could not have picked a better fabric for this month’s SHINE button box. Sunnyside Up by Corey Yoder is very simply “sunshine” in fabric form. Each print in the collection is full of bright and cheerful colors and sweet blooms. The collection perfectly compliments the handmade meadow flowers and ivy leaf buttons that are debuting in this month’s box! Speaking of sunshine, this month’s hand-dyed buttons are exclusive colors Buttercup and Thistle. Buttercup is just the perfect shade of sunshine…making it the perfect partner for this month’s button appliqué shape.
Shine Button Appliqué Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (SHINE Box)
- Fabric (Sunnyside Up by Corey Yoder for Moda shown):
2 ½”x 4½” grey print rectangle (A)
4½” white print rectangle (B)
6½” x 1¼” magenta print rectangle (C)
6½” x 1¾” multi-color print rectangle (D)
4½” x 4½” subtle yellow square (for sun)
6½” grey print square (for backing)
- Sew Lazy Dreamy Fusible Fleece (6½” square)
- Sew Lazy Fusi-bond Lite
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
Shine Button Appliqué Instructions:
- Trace the sun pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced sun onto the wrong side of the yellow fabric.
- Cut out the sun shape on the inside of the traced line and set aside.
- Pin the grey rectangle (A) to the white rectangle (B), right sides together, matching the 4½” edges. Sew along the 4½” edge with a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seam toward A.
- Pin the magenta rectangle (C) to the multi-color rectangle (D), right sides together, matching the 6½” edges. Sew along the 6½” edge with a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seam toward C.
- Position the top section (A-B) of the block (right side up) with A on the left and B on the right. Line up the bottom edge of the section with the cut edge of the magenta rectangle (C) right sides together, matching the 6½” edge. Sew with a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seam toward the C.
- Press the block and trim to 6½” square.
- Arrange the sun on top of the block. Iron to fuse in place and then applique. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shapes.
- Fuse block to a 6½” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt around the edges of the applique.
- Lay the 6½” backing square on top of the 6½” block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 2½” diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff pillow.
- Add more stuffing if desired and whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué shape to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the sun. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your sun.)
- Sew the S-H-I-N-E buttons to the magenta strip.
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- Sunnyside Up by Corey Yoder for Moda Fabrics
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- JABC Stitch School
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué
Not a club member? Click here to join and get next month’s box!