The name of this month’s featured fabric collection is so appropriate because we are simply “smitten” with the fabrics. We were so inspired by the colors and patterns on each piece and loved every moment of creating with it! Our first project to share this month is Button Appliqué pillow. It combines our exclusive club appliqué pattern with the exclusive club alphabet buttons. We love how sweet and cheery it is!
Bloom Button Appliqué Pillow Supplies:
2 ½”x 4½” red print rectangle (A)
4½” square pink/ white plaid (B)
6½” x 1¼” light peach rectangle (C)
6½” x 1¾” aqua print rectangle (D)
4” light peach square (for flower)
2½” x 4¾” green (for leaves)
6½” square (for backing)
Bloom Button Appliqué Pillow Instructions:
- Trace flower and leaf patterns onto Fusi-bond Lite.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced flower onto the wrong side of the 4” light peach square. Iron the traced leaves onto the wrong side of the 2½” x 4¾” green rectangle.
- Cut out the flower and leaf shapes on the inside of the traced line and set aside.
- Pin the red rectangle (A) to the light pink plaid rectangle (B), right sides together, matching the 4½” edges. Sew along the 4½” edge with a 4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward A.
- Pin the peach rectangle (C) to the aqua print rectangle (D), right sides together, matching the 6½” edges. Sew along the 6½” edge with a 4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward C.
- Position the top section (A-B) of the block (right side up) with A on the left and B on the right. Line up the bottom edge of the section with the cut edge of the peach rectangle (C) right sides together, matching the 6½” edge. Sew with a 4″ seam allowance. Press the seam toward the C.
- Press the block and trim to 6½” square.
- Arrange the flower and leaves on top of the block. Iron to fuse in place and then applique. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shapes.
- Fuse block to a 6½” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt around the edges of the appliques and in the ditches of the block seams.
- Lay the 6½” backing square on top of the 6½” block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 2½” diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué heart to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the flower. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your flower.
- Sew the B-L-O-O-M buttons to the peach strip.
- Facebook Live Replay: Bloom Projects Reveal
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- Fabric: Smitten by Bonnie & Camille for Moda
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: Faux Sewn Buttons
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué