Free Pattern: Star Spangled Mini-Pinnie
The week of July 4th is one of our favorites. We love everything about this week- the food, time with family, and of course fireworks! As busy as the long holiday weekend will be, I plan on sneaking in a little stitching time in the cool comforts of the air conditioning.
One of the projects I plan to stitch this weekend is a favorite of mine, our Star Spangled Mini-Pinnie. This is one of my favorite patterns we've shared with our Pin Lover's Club.
This pattern is so versatile to sew! I love changing it up by using different fabrics. I recently stitched one using the Hazelwood Collection by One Canoe Two.
How to make the Star Spangled Mini-Pinnie:
If you are new to foundation paper piecing, you will want to check out my 6 Tips for Better Paper Piecing post for my favorite paper piecing tips!
Star Spangled Pillow Supplies:
- Pattern Download: Star Spangled Mini-Pinnie
- Pin Lover’s Club Pins
- Fabric: (cut these pieces*)
(5) 3 x 3” (for units A-C)
(2) 4¼ x 1½” (for unit D)
(2) 7 x 1½” (for unit E)
(1) 6½ x 5¾” (for backing)
(4) 3 x 3 (for units A-C)
(2) 7 x 1½ (for unit E)
(1) 4¼ x 1½ (for unit D)
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
*Fabric measurements are generous to ensure success for beginners.
Star Spangled Pillow Instructions:
- Download the Star Spangled Mini-Pinnie PDF and print at 100%
- Use the foundation paper pattern sheet to assemble your flag block. See additional instructions on the pattern download.
- The flag block should measure 6½ x 5¾”. Remove the paper from the backside of your block. Pin the backing rectangle on top of the block (right-sides-together) with the edges lined up.
- Sew all the way around (don’t leave an opening) with a ¼” seam.
- Use our Franken-Stitch Finish technique to turn your pincushion right-side-out. Make a 2″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff the pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an applique heart to cover your stitches.
- Add your Pin Lover’s Club pins to your new pincushion and enjoy!!!
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 4 oz per pillow)
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- 6 Tips for Better Paper Piecing
PS. If you are looking for fun patriotic pins for your Star Spangled Mini-Pinnie, here are a few suggestions. Click this link to see each of these in our store: Fourth of July Pins.