Button Lover’s Club: Words With Buttons Dream Button Monogram
I shared yesterday how much I love the mix of fireflies, moths, and colors in the Twilight fabric collection. Today I want to gush a bit about the florals. They are so soft, feminine, and well… dreamy! I love that the flowers have vivid splashes of color and are contrasted against the beautiful shades of the night sky. For this month’s monogram, I chose a dark blue brushstroke-solid fabric that stands out in bold contrast to the soft colors I chose for the pillow. The combination is simply DREAMY! I confess, I made this month’s pillow for myself because the Twilight fabrics are my favorite! I hope you love sewing with them as much as I do!
Dream Button Monogram Pillow Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (DREAM Box)
- Button Block Pattern by Tammy Tutterow Designs
- Fabric (Twilight by One Canoe Two for Moda shown):
- 4″ dark blue square (for letter)
- 5½″ white/periwinkle print square (for background)
- (2) 2″ x 5½” periwinkle print rectangles (for border)
- (2) 2″ x 8½″ periwinkle print rectangles (for border)
- 8½” periwinkle square (for backing)
Dream Button Monogram Pillow Instructions:
- Trace the letter of your choice from the Button Block Pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite. You will want your letter reversed.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced letter onto the wrong side of the ¼” dark blue square.
- Cut out the letter on the inside of the traced line.
- Center the appliqué letter on the white/periwinkle print square . Fuse in place.
- Appliqué the letter to the background. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shape.
- Sew the two short border pieces (2″ x 5½″) to the sides of the background square, with a ¼” seam allowance. Press your seams toward the borders.
- Then sew the longer border pieces (2″ x 8½″) to the top and bottom. Press your seams toward the borders.
- Press the block and trim to 8½” square.
- Fuse block to an 8½” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt as desired.
- Lay the 8½” backing square on top of the 8½” block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 3″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff the pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué shape to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the cover the letter. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your letter.
- Facebook Live Replay: Dream Projects Reveal
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- Fabric: Twilight by One Canoe Two for Moda
- Button Block Appliqué Alphabet
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: Faux Sewn Buttons
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué
Not a club member? Click here to join and get next month’s box!
Pin it to save it for later!