Button Lover’s Club: Words With Buttons | Acorn Button Monogram
“Faith sees a beautiful blossom in a bulb, a lovely garden in a seed, and a giant oak in an acorn.” ~ William Arthur Ward
Isn’t that such a lovely thought? It seemed perfect to share with you today along with our second project from the Acorn Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons box. Today’s project is a button monogram mini pillow featuring an acorn print fabric from 101 Maple Street by Bunny Hill Design. I can’t help but smile when I look at this pillow as it reminds me of the message in this lovely quote.
Acorn Button Monogram Pillow Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (ACORN Box)
- Button Block Pattern by Tammy Tutterow Designs
- Fabric (101 Maple Street by Bunny Hill for Moda shown):
4″ dark brown square (for letter)
5½″ white tone on tone square (for background)
(2) 2″ x 5½” dark brown print rectangles (for border)
(2) 2″ x 8½″ dark brown print rectangles (for border)
8½” dark brown square (for backing)
- Sew Lazy Dreamy Fusible Fleece (8½” square)
- Sew Lazy Fusi-bond Lite
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
Acorn Button Monogram Pillow Instructions:
- Trace the letter of your choice from the Button Block Pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite. You will want your letter reversed.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced letter onto the wrong side of the 4″ dark brown square.
- Cut out the letter on the inside of the traced line.
- Center the appliqué letter on the white square . Fuse in place.
- Appliqué the letter to the background. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shape.
- Sew the two short border pieces (2″ x 5½″) to the sides of the background square, with a 1/4” seam allowance. Press your seams toward the borders.
- Then sew the longer border pieces (2″ x 8½″) to the top and bottom. Press your seams toward the borders.
- Press the block and trim to 8½” square.
- Fuse block to an 8½” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt as desired.
- Lay the 8½” backing square on top of the 8½” block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 3″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff the pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué shape to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the cover the letter. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your letter.
- 101 Maple Street by Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs for Moda Fabrics
- Button Block Appliqué Alphabet
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- JABC Stitch School
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: Faux Sewn Buttons
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué
Not a club member? Click here to join and get next month’s box!
Pin this idea to save it for later!