Button Lover’s Club: Words With Buttons | Acorn Button Appliqué
Hello Button Friends! We are so excited to share the first of our October Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons projects with you. But first, we want to say “thank you” to all of you for your kindness and understanding regarding the delays with this month’s club. We are sad to share that we were away due to a death in our family. We are grateful for the kind words and prayers that were shared with our family during this difficult time.
This month, our Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons theme is Acorn. If you follow us on social media (Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest) you know that fall is a favorite theme at Just Another Button Company. We’ve assembled a fun collection of fall themed buttons for you this month. You’ll see handmade buttons that represent many of our favorite fall things and hand-dyed buttons in the perfect shades of browns to capture the colors of the season. Our featured fabric this month is 101 Maple Street by Bunny Hill for Moda. It is a perfect compliment to the theme and colors of this month’s button box!
Acorn Button Appliqué Pillow Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (ACORN Box)
- Fabric (101 Maple Street by Bunny Hill for Moda shown):
- 2½”x 4½” red print rectangle (A)
- 4½” white tone on tone (B)
- 6½” x 1¼” blue print rectangle (C)
- 6½” x 1¾” dark brown print rectangle (D)
- 4½” x 4½” ginger solid rectangle (for squirrel)
- 6½” dark brown square (for backing)
Acorn Button Appliqué Pillow Instructions:
- Trace the squirrel pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced squirrel onto the wrong side of the ginger fabric.
- Cut out the squirrel shape on the inside of the traced line and set aside.
- Pin the red rectangle (A) to the white rectangle (B), right sides together, matching the 4½” edges. Sew along the 4½” edge with a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seam toward A.
- Pin the blue rectangle (C) to the dark brown rectangle (D), right sides together, matching the 6½” edges. Sew along the 6½” edge with a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seam toward C.
- Position the top section (A-B) of the block (right side up) with A on the left and B on the right. Line up the bottom edge of the section with the cut edge of the blue rectangle (C) right sides together, matching the 6½” edge. Sew with a ¼” seam allowance. Press the seam toward the C.
- Press the block and trim to 6½” square.
- Arrange the squirrel on top of the block. Iron to fuse in place and then applique. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shapes.
- Fuse block to a 6½” square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt around the edges of the appliques.
- Lay the 6½” backing square on top of the 6½” block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-stitch Finish Technique to turn the pillow right-side-out. Make a 2½” diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff pillow.
- Add more stuffing if desired and whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué shape to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the squirrel. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your squirrel.)
- Sew the A-C-O-R-N buttons to the blue strip.
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- 101 Maple Street by Anne Sutton of Bunny Hill Designs for Moda Fabrics
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- JABC Stitch School
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Snug-A-Button Technique
- Tutorial: Faux Sewn Buttons
- Tutorial: How To Button Appliqué
Not a club member? Click here to join and get next month’s box!
Pin it to save it for later!