Button Lover’s Club: Flights Of Friendship Pieced Mini Pillow
It is day 4 of our Cheer Words with Buttons projects! What a fun week this has been so far! We simply love making these mini pillows from The Splendid Sampler (book 1). They are such a perfect compliment to our other mini pillows each month. We love how they look grouped in a bowl or on a chair. And since we love piecing blocks, it is fun to get to try out so many different patterns!
Flights of Friendship Pillow Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (Cheer Box)
- The Splendid Sampler Book
- Fabric (Christmas Figs by Fig Tree & Co. for Moda shown): Measurements for fabrics are on page 29 of The Splendid Sampler.
A & B— white print
C—4 assorted prints (red and green)
- 6.5” square (for backing)
- Sew Lazy Dreamy Fusible Fleece (6.5″ square)
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
Flights of Friendship Pillow Instructions:
- Follow the instructions on page 29 of The Splendid Sampler to make the “Flights of Friendship” Block by Barbara Groves & Mary Jacobson.
- Iron your block to the 6.5″ square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt as desired.
- Lay the 6.5″ backing square on top of the 6.5″ block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Use our Franken-Stitch Finish technique to turn your pillow right-side-out. Make a 2.5″ diagonal slit in the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff the pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an applique heart to cover your stitches.
- Center a button (or button stack) on top of the block and sew in place through all the layers of the pillow. While sewing through the pillow, gently pull your thread tight to tuft the pillow.
- Facebook Live Cheer Projects Reveal
- Facebook Button Lover’s Club Group
- Christmas Figs by Fig Tree & Co for Moda
- The Splendid Sampler
- Interfacings by Lazy Girl Designs
- Wool Roving (we suggest about 3 oz per pillow)
- Tutorial: Frankenstitch Finish
- Tutorial: Button Tufting