Fashion experts say that every closet should have a “little back dress”. We think the crafty equivalent of the “little black dress” is a simple versatile appliqué alphabet pattern. We are using the Button Block Appliqué Alphabet by Tammy Tutterow each month in our Words with Buttons projects. We think this is the perfect “little black dress” alphabet! It was designed specifically to work with bite sized projects and its chunky shape makes a perfect base for layers of our hand-dyed buttons!
Button Monogram Pillow Supplies:
- Button Lover’s Club: Words with Buttons (Nest Box)
- Button Block Pattern by Tammy Tutterow Designs
- Fabric (Nest by Lella Boutique for Moda shown):
- 4″ coral square (for letter)
- 5.5″ grey square (for background)
- (2) 2″ x 5.5″ peach print rectangles (for border)
- (2) 2″ x 8″ peach print rectangles (for border)
- 8” square (for backing)
- Sew Lazy Dreamy Fusible Fleece (8″ square)
- Sew Lazy Fusi-bond Lite
- Wool Roving (for stuffing)
Button Monogram Pillow Instructions:
- Trace the letter of your choice from the Button Block Pattern onto Fusi-bond Lite. You will want your letter reversed.
- Following the package directions on the Fusi-bond Lite, iron the traced letter onto the wrong side of the 4″ coral square.
- Cut out the letter on the inside of the traced line.
- Center the appliqué letter on the grey 5.5″ background square. Fuse in place.
- Appliqué the letter to the background. We used a straight, machine stitch close to the edge of the shape.
- Sew the two short border pieces (2″ x 5.5″) to the sides of the background square, with a 1/4” seam allowance. Press your seams toward the grey.
- Then sew the longer border pieces (2″ x 8″) to the top and bottom. Press your seams toward the grey.
- Press the block and trim to 8″ square.
- Fuse block to an 8″ square of Dreamy Fusible Fleece.
- Quilt as desired.
- Lay the 8″ backing square on top of the 8″ block, right sides together and sew all the way around the square.
- Make a 3″ diagonal slit in the middle of the backing fabric ONLY.
- Turn the pillow right-side-out through the slit.
- Stuff the pillow.
- Whipstitch the slit closed.
- Optional: Add an appliqué heart to cover your stitches.
- Sew buttons to the cover the letter. (See our “Applique with Buttons” post for tips on adding buttons to your letter.)
- Facebook Live Nest Project Reveal (includes tips for Button Appliqué)
- Video: How to Appliqué with Buttons